Friday, January 9, 2009

When all else fails to excite..



Threw on the Carharts and stepped outside to do some chores. Replenish the wood suppy for the wood brurner and snowblow the driveway. After a few passes and loads I started looking at the bikes hanging in the garage. What to do? Take down the Griswald style Xmas lights? Head in for a round of PS3? Not going to put on shoes and gear, the ray's bike with the Kona platforms is at the shop. Then I saw the Suntour Toe Clip and Strap pedals on the the Specialized. Why do I need bike gear when I have a full Carhart suit on? I am wearing my Craft beanie. Off I went. Sun was setting, and the snow falling, I was plenty warm. Came back with a smile on my face, thinking about what a story this bike was.

This was my first "real" mountain bike. It took me to my first XC race. A 1991 or 92 Handmade S-Works hardtail, Suntour XC pro parts with grease guard port holes, Future shock and a Dura Ace rear derailluer. We found out short cage Dura Ace worked great with the Suntour, just like Downhillers will run them today. Yet I was young and needed some money so I sold it for, I don't know, $350. Yahh, sell a $3000 USA made bike for a few bucks, real smart. Then about a year ago a customer brings in a bike somebody gave him. The bike had been in a abandoned building. It was the same bike....not the same model, actually MY BIKE. It Had the same silly paint, "El Diablo" on the top tube, that I had so poorly painted. I promptly traded the customer, had KEI repaint the frame, and had John rebuild it for me.

Just like 1992, no bike gear, no clipless pedals, just a great ride.

2 comments:

hamad said...

i love that story...

Unknown said...

How many Bud Lights did it take until you told "El Diablo" you loved it?