Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Meet Paul

Meet Paul, manager of our Berea store and co-organizer of our racing team, 765 Racing. We did a 
Q & A with Paul so you could get to know a little bit more about the team and one of our cyclo-cross and fat bike enthusiast co-workers.
Bikes you ride: 

"I race more cross and that is often single speed, so mostly on my Independent Fabrication or my Spot Carbon Belt drive. It depends on the gearing I have set up and if I want disc or cantis [brakes]. For mountain biking, depends. If it’s a long race then I’ll race on my Moots Smoothie. If it’s a short race, then my Scott Scale."

Tell me what 765 racing is? 

"I think 765 has changed since we first started planning the team. What it is now, is a group of cyclists that are like minded, where we are not worrying about placing up; but supporting each other in the sport that we love. We want to grow cycling in all forms and bring more attention to the great companies that support us like Nooma & Mountain Road Cycles. We want to grow cycling in the Cleveland area."

Favorite local races: NEOCycle, Kirtland Park, and Brooklyn cyclo-cross races.




Race Day Routine? 

With my life, I like to be at the venue about 45 minutes before the start, so I plan my morning around that. Have some coffee, and get some food in. A good bowl of oatmeal is ideal for me. If that doesn’t happen, a banana and a cereal bar on the way to the race works as well. For cyclo-cross, I’d like to get a lap in before the race; if not, then just riding around the parking lot, something to get the legs moving and the blood flowing.


Best advice for someone who wants to get into racing?  

"For cross, I’d say go to a race and watch one or two and maybe start talking to people, like the guys from 765. That way you can get an idea (although vague as that idea will be, because it’s cross) of what it’s all about, and try one out. For the most part, there is no pressure in cross racing. So it’s all about going out and enjoying your self, and putting yourself through some punishment. Cross is a very welcoming venue, so it’s very accepting when new people show up that have a passion for this kind of racing. Show up with a good attitude and ready to have some fun, and while you’re at it - don’t be afraid to grab a hand-up or two; it’s a quick way to make friends."

Favorite training day?

"With the craziness of my life, I don’t have a 'plan.' I just ride my bike as much as possible; but when I do go out with a 'plan,' one of the best things that I have found is to get out and do hill repeats. I’ll leave my house and hit has many hills in my area as possible and do repeats on some of them. I have found, for myself, this is the best way to get some 'training' in. My goal isn’t to get to the top as quickly as possible, but to down shift (better yet, take out the single speed) and make climbing harder. Another thing I really like to do, is to take my cross bike on a mountain bike trail - I’ve been doing this for years. (Long before the kids thought it was cool.) Again, if I can make my riding harder, then I will be more ready for races, and this is how and where you build your skill."

Have other questions for Paul? Contact him at paul@mtnroadcycles.com

No comments: